Thursday, May 10, 2012

One Step Closer




Sitting at the dining room table, comfy in sweats and bare feet, full and refreshed from a homemade breakfast and neighborhood walk with my friend, Kim...
I can feel it - It's going to be a good day. 
The fresh air blowing through the screen door and the swish-swash sound of the dishwasher running makes for a relaxing combination. (Is it weird? I love the sound of the dishwasher.)


 
It's been a relaxed kinda week all around.  And I know it has something to do with the photos below.
(Don't let the picture fool you.  It's two of the same ultrasound shots.)


 
I met Steve at the doctor's office on Monday morning.  We waited less than 2 minutes to be taken back.  I was excited and at ease.
So much, that I quickly bent over to take my boots off, smearing my bright pink lipstick across my white shirt.  So, as I went to lie down, I did the appropriate thing and pulled the paper blanket over my lipstick stain.  Leaving a little too much of myself exposed.  Steve laughed, looked at me and said, "Really?!, so you'd rather greet the nurse with your hoo haa as soon as she opens the door, rather than let her see the stain on the shirt?" He had a point there.

The nurse knocked on the door, Steve and I still cackling. I felt so carefree.  And just had this pure and amazing feeling everything was going to be good.
And it was.
All I could do was smile and
look up at Steve, as he squeezed my shoulder and held my hand while the nurse told us exactly what we were looking at.

I knew what we were looking at - something strong and beautiful.  Something that was just the beginning and yet still such a milestone.
In my heart, I truly felt it was one.  and...it was. :)

One healthy gestational sac, where our baby is making its home, popped up on the screen.
I've gotten pretty good at reading the nurse's expressions and could tell she was pleased with what she saw.  She told us it was embedded nice n' deep in my uterus and everything was looking just as it should.  I got dressed and ready to talk to our doctor - It being the first time we saw him since we found out we're pregnant.  As we turned out of the waiting room, he welcomed us with a huge grin as he led us to his office.
I felt a lump start to form in my throat but held the tears back. 
It was dreamlike walking in there knowing we were pregnant...knowing that after all this time, we were about to sit face to face with him and talk about happy and positive numbers and results.



I thanked him up and down, calling him "the baby master."
He told us he was thrilled, as he flipped through the pages of my folder.  He shook his head, smiling, and then looked up at us, telling us my numbers were all awesome and that the ultrasound photos were showing everything as perfectly as he hoped it would be.
Before we left, he shook our hands and told us to come back in exactly a week.
I shook his hand, but really, I wanted to jump over his desk, hug him tight and plant a big kiss on his face.

Baby Marino is in there.

 
Steve and I stood in the parking lot hugging, wishing we could go out and celebrate right then and there.  As I drove home, I laughed at myself because I couldn't cry - so unlike me.  I was drunk on a happiness and a kind of peace that is all so new to me.
Ten minutes into the drive, I searched for a radio station.  And then this song came on - the one that helped me write that post.
The tears started flowing.  It was cleansing and healing and meant to be.

Again, here we are, one step closer.
***

Monday was full of sweet surprises.  As soon as I got home, I went to our mailbox. Discovering a package bursting with all of these thoughtful treats from a beautiful friend in Australia.
Yes, of course, I cried again. 
Kerry, you made a sweet day even sweeter.  Thank you.
You weren't kidding - those TimTams are amazing.  They make switching to decaf even easier. :)
THANK YOU, lovely lady!

***
In other news, Steve made a move and finally invested in the Snoremaster 3000.
(really called pure sleep.)
All he has to do is sleep with a super sexy retainer in his mouth, and BAM - no more grizzly bear snores.  Hooray!

Twinkie's tail sneakin' in the picture.
***

Veronica and Kerry visited on Tuesday.
She's a crazy cat lady baby and I love it.  She chased Twinkie and Muffin around the coffee table, up n' down the stairs, and under the table.  I think Twinkie may have even lost a pound or two.


 

 

 

She loves going treasure hunting. And always makes use of anything she finds.

She was a happy girl and I was happy to see her and her mama.
***

Yesterday, Vania came over for lunch.   
After stuffing ourselves with salad, we decided we needed to balance it out...


with a walk downtown for a couple of ice cream cones.

I want another one right now.

 


We were sad to see them go.  They were that good.

<3

Today, I am 6 weeks pregnant.
And as each day passes, regardless of any "fun" symptoms that make their way into the day,
I feel more and more like a new woman.
I feel more and more like a pregnant mama.
I'm so thankful.
<3 


Have a sweet day, friends. 
Thank you for the encouragement. <3

 
I'll be back sometime on Mother's Day.



Happy and Hormonal Lovin'

42 comments:

Beth F. said...

What great news!! I am so happy for you! I hope you have an easy pregnancy, but I know you don't even care. :)

Beth said...

(Easy as in sickness, cankles, etc, of course!)

Kerstin@TheRealHousewivesofIdaho.blogspot.com said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! So happy for you! Thanks for the well wishes. ;)

Kelsey said...

I'm a creep...texting and commenting this at the same time. But I have a request... weekly bump pics!!! I love the ultrasound picture. It's going to be so fun for you to see the progression. You will be so amazed how much baby grows just from last Monday to next. We got to see Jack when he was smaller than a grain of rice... it's just a miracle! Okay, i'll stop now. but SO happy!!!

Unknown said...

SO so so excited for you!!!! So happy Baby Marino is healthy and you got to see your precious baby!!! I'm happy for you!!!! The ultrasounds where you get to see your miracle healthy are just amazing experiences!!! I just don't have enough happy words to express how thrilled I am for you! Lol!!! Happy 6 weeks Maria and much love to Baby from
Journee and I!!! :))

E and R said...

So glad the u/s went so well! Congratulations!!

Kelly @ Stay at Home Trader said...

Yayyyy!!! Awww look at you!!! That's the prettiest little baby gestational sack ever! ;). You deserve this, you were born to be a mom, and I couldn't be happier or more proud of you!! This time is so different, and I admire so much your ability to embrace this with no fear. Amazing and absolutely beautiful to watch. I love the treats from Kerry and the pics of Veronica are so adoravle��. She has the prettiest eyes! Aww I am so filled with joy for you. Thanks for being there for me this week. I love you do much, and am so excited to see you on this happy journey!!!

Xoxoxoxoxoxo
Kelly

Vanessa Scott said...

What a very exciting post to read. New life is such an amazing thing. I hope that you relish in every aspect (even the not so fun) of pregnancy. Now, you have a very good reason to go and enjoy more of that ice cream!

tickledpinkwithrosesandpearls.com said...

Ohhhh Maria! I am soooo happy for you! That is one beautiful ultra sound picture!
You're in my thoughts every day!
Michele

Cibele said...

I read "your story" and made think of "The time traveler's wife" ... have you read the book? The movie is great but the book really explores her struggles to have a baby... it was due to chromosomal incompatibility ... in the end she had her baby, just like you will have yours! Congratulations and wishing you the best!
I will leave you with a quote that I identify myself with, is from another book... its just metaphor but i am sure that you will relate
"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England."

lovejoy_31 said...

I can't even put into words how happy I am for you and Steve. It is truly amazing!!! You deserve the easiest pregnancy ever. Of course, so do I and I didn't get that. LOL!!! But I can assure you that my little one is worth every single second of sickness I had. And your present will get there very soon. Love to you both!! And thank you for commenting again on last week's post. I'm going to try to be a better blogger after my hip replacement (which is 3 freaking weeks away). OMG!!!! Even writing that is insane, but enough about me. This comment was meant to be about you. LOl!!!!

Jessica White said...

Love seeing your smile with those ultrasound pictures!

So, SO glad that everything is looking good with you and your little one.

Anonymous said...

Oh what AMAZING news for you, Maria! I'm soooooooo so happy for you!!! YIPPEE!!! ::jumps up and down::

Heather said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! So happy for you and so thankful that the baby is looking great!

Unknown said...

It's so silly but I've been on pins and needles waiting for this post!!! So, so great to see the pictures of your beautiful little one!!! Maria I'm so happy for you and sending so much joy, love and good thoughts your way!! xo

Jenny said...

Yay! I'm so happy your appointment went well and you have those beautiful pics of your little one to show off! Reading this post put a big smile on my face :)

Across the Avenue said...

Aw, this is such a great post! Thanks for sharing it with us all. I just found you on a blog hop, stop by http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/ and follow back when you can! :)

Unknown said...

Hi there Maria,
I am so glad that each day is bringing more good news! Good news keep coming Maria's way every day!:) Your pictures reveal so much happiness in you and around you. You have a lot of us sending you good wishes so keep on keeping on. Lots of Love, Friendship and Best Wishes always.
Judy

Heather Nelsen said...

Ahhh! I'm gonna need you to stop making me have so many emotional outbursts when I read your posts. I laugh, I cry, I dream about our baby future.... I can't take it all at once! ;) I am SOOOOO happy for you guys! Like SO happy. Can't wait to follow this journey with you guys!

Big Apple Mami said...

Such a beautiful ultrasound picture!!! So incredibly happy for you!! Xoxo

Kerry said...

6 weeks!!!!!! Awesome job little baby, keep growing big and strong!!
Despite any symptoms you get, which I hope are minimal, it is all totally worth it. It is amazing to see on the u/s isn't it! I remember when Liam was a little black circle too :)
You look great, you have beautiful friends, you have a fantastic husband even if he snores (mine does too uggg!) and this Mother's Day, you are going to celebrate that miracle because whether he or she is here yet or not, you my friend are now technically a mummy :)
Beautiful sweet post, and you are so welcome for the package. Funny thing is, I sent it the morning of your pregnancy post which I didn't read until the afternoon, the one that had me crying tears over my laptop and laughing all at once cause I could see you in the video and hear your voice!! Otherwise the package would have mentioned your pregnancy and probably included baby stuff too ;)
Have a beautiful day Maria and Steve (and kitty cats) xoxoxox

Rachel Marie said...

I love this post :) It made me smile and get tears of joy for you Maria<3 I have been thinking about you and Steve a lot lately, and I am glad to hear a good update ... I am still going to your blog on the daily to check up on you :)

Ashley said...

Woo hoo!! So wonderful and amazing to see that little baby in there! So excited for you two!! I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend filled with all things good!

oh, and now I want ice cream! :)

Erin said...

Yeaaaaa, Maria! That's the most beautiful ultrasound I've ever seen. I'm so happy for you and Steve. I pray for you often. Now there is a little one that I will start praying for!!
Blessings, dear sister!
~Erin

Krystyn said...

So happy for you!!! So glad to hear that your appointment went well! Can't wait to read more great news and see more pictures of that beautiful baby!!
xxoo
Krystyn

Olivia said...

:)

Love the ultrasound photo.

We have one identical to it of our Jude, at 5 or 6 weeks with just a dot there on the screen (after they magnified the image as much as they could! ha)... a single dot that is going to rock your world ;)

Cami said...

Ok, first...your kitty is just so precious...seeing him always makes me smile!! :)

Avocado on top of that salad? My faaav!

I love the little one playing with your kitty - that is just way too precious <3 And that smile of hers!!

Beautiful ultrasound..I look forward to many more!!

So so happy and thankful for you!!

Loveyou!

Kiara Buechler said...

I second Kelsey's request for weekly bump photos!

On an unrelated note, usually I don't like it when blogs have soundtracks, but since I've been following you I find myself coming to your blog and leaving the tab open while I do other things on the Internet, just so I can listen to all your fabulous music picks. I love your taste!

Kari said...

I'm so so so so so SOOOOO excited for you! Of course...you already know that but I'm going to tell you every chance I get. :)

I'm so happy things are going so well for you and Steve right now-you two deserve all the happiness in the world!!

xoxo

M said...

Yay! I look forward to your updates. Grow baby, GROW!!

Amanda said...

Congrats!!I am a new follower and would love a follow back at http://lefthandedideas.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! Those are beautiful pictures btw. :) Stopping by from BHE! Great blog, hope to see you at mine soon! :)
http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/p/5-day-blog-hop.html

Unknown said...

So happy for you!!! Looking forward to all your pregnancy posts and pictures. I was laughing as I was reading the part about the lipstick stain and hoo haa.
I love that feeling of being drunk on happiness, smiling from ear to ear. I was like that on my wedding day and the day my hubby proposed, never did shed one tear....its a great feeling:)
Happy mother's day momma to be!!! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

So happy for you!!! Looking forward to all your pregnancy posts and pictures. I was laughing as I was reading the part about the lipstick stain and hoo haa.
I love that feeling of being drunk on happiness, smiling from ear to ear. I was like that on my wedding day and the day my hubby proposed, never did shed one tear....its a great feeling:)
Happy mother's day momma to be!!! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

So happy for you!!! Looking forward to all your pregnancy posts and pictures. I was laughing as I was reading the part about the lipstick stain and hoo haa.
I love that feeling of being drunk on happiness, smiling from ear to ear. I was like that on my wedding day and the day my hubby proposed, never did shed one tear....its a great feeling:)
Happy mother's day momma to be!!! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

OMG....my comment posted 3 times...sorry!

Lauren Rebecca said...

I am so happy for this great news!!! I look forward to seeing your journey and I pray for everything to go perfectly for you! <3

Unknown said...

yayy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been thinking about you lately, lady.

I have been praying.

I have been hoping.

This is the most amazing news I have heard all day, all week, this entire month.

I am so happy. SO very happy for you, my friend.

I wish I could give you a hug!

Cheers.

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Yah!!! Look at that baby on the ultrasound!! YAH!!! I am so happy for you! Did they give you any dates yet? I am so unbelievably excited for you and truly can't wait to see the progress through the weeks. The best days of your life are ahead of you!xoxo

Stephanie said...

Love love LOVE all of the pictures -- with my favorite being those bluryish, BEAUTIFUL black and white ones. :) I'm SO happy for you and Steve! :) :) :)

The day you described DOES sound dream like -- one I'm sure you won't soon forget! I'm so excited to read ALL about your pregnancy and, of course, to "meet" your little precious Baby Marino! :)

Hope you're having a good week, pretty lady! <3

Stephanie said...

GOSH you always make me cry -- lol. How AMAZING is it that your due date is on that day? I don't think it's a coincidence either. It's beautiful -- He works in mysterious ways... :)

It looks like you had a great Mother's Day. <3 I love all of the pictures -- especially your bump! ... I can't wait to see it grow! lol

I'm so happy for you -- and I can semi relate to what you wrote about learning and keeping the past's little lessons in mind -- it really does teach you to be so thankful and humble and... keep you in the "right" place.

Sleep...eat...and be pregnant, pretty lady! <3

Brittany said...

Yaaaaaaay!! Six weeks!! How are you feeling? Besides being crazy excited of course!! As you totally should be. I am SO glad the ultrasound went well and little Baby Marino is safe and sound in there :). So precious! Praying for you everyday sweet momma! lots of love to you, Steveand Baby!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...